- a really fantastic 3 mile run with a new friend
- taking part in a running group that I found on meetup for the first time
- positive interactions with a co-worker with whom I usually struggle to relate
- finding a groupon for $2 yoga classes in the northland
- baking a margarita cheesecake for a murder mystery dinner party on Saturday night
I’ve been a member of Meetup for awhile now and thought that several events sounded interesting but never quite had the nerve to attend by myself. However, one of the groups started a running club on Wednesday nights at Macken Park and I thought, I can do that. The park has a 1 mile loop so I don’t have to worry about keeping up with others and yet it’s still a good opportunity to meet new people and motivate myself to run. It was cold but sunny and I arrived right on time. The organizer is a lady who is close in age to my own mom and she was super friendly and nice. She pushed me to run a little faster than I would have normally and I didn’t even think to ask to stop because I wanted to keep up with her! We got to talking about all sorts of things and I discovered that she never married or had children. I just wanted to hug her and say – thank you – that means that I’m not alone.
There are several women out there who have divorced or are single parents but it’s rare to meet an older woman who never married and never had children. And that very well could be me someday so it’s nice to see someone enjoying that life.
I still want a family and a husband and kids but I’m also trying to look for opportunities where that isn’t the case and people are still happy. It’s harder than you think to find.